Monday, March 12, 2007

Winding Down

This is the last week of Winter term for those of us on a quarter system. I find I'm always filled with tremendous ambivalence as my classes wind down and come to a close. Teaching online is A LOT of work, so in some ways I'm ready to have a bit of a breather before the next sessions start up. However, I get quite involved with my students so I am always a little bit sad to see them go. Some of them exasperate me, and a few choose to stay more anonymous. But almost every term there are a handful of students who I really feel I get to know, even though I never meet them in the face-to-face world. I read their weekly comments in our discussion area and engage in some pretty fascinating conversations about things that feel important. I learn as much from them as they do from me. So now it's time to say goodbye to all of them. Most I will never hear from again. That's ok, and as it should be. There will be a fresh crop coming for Spring term and I will nurture them as well as I did this group. Still, I can't help but think about these students who are leaving, and wonder how they may be different as a result of our time together. I know I certainly will.

No comments:

Enrich Your Word Power!

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day


This Day in History