Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Secret Life of Bees

I just finished reading the book "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It has some serious parts, to be sure, but one of my favorite passages from the book is when the Lily, the main character says: "Sometimes I didn't even feel like getting out of bed. I took to wearing my days-of-the-week panties out of order. It could be Monday and I'd have on underwear saying Thursday. I just didn't care."

Oh yeah, I can relate to that one.

4 comments:

Lei said...

I loved this book. No, I mean I LOVED it.

The ending made the most powerful impression on me, when she realizes how lucky she's been to have such wonderful mother figures surrounding her.

Belladonna said...

The thing that struck me was her process of coming to terms with the mistakes the past, (both her own and those of others) and learning to really accept and internalize August's admonition that "regrets don't help anything."

Mimi said...

I remember liking it very much, but I don't remember the specifics of the book, other than Mary figured in it.

Marie said...

I think the ending saved it. It was well written, but without that particular ending it would have just been another girl power chick story a la Ya Ya (yick).

Enrich Your Word Power!

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day


This Day in History