Monday, August 20, 2007

That's a Sarcasm

I was hanging out with two of my grandkids this evening having a grand old time. We were talking about words and what they mean. I was defining things like quotient and capillaries. We talked about how scabs are the body's way of protecting itself and healing. We talked about why some people shave their poodle dogs to look big and fluffy up front but all skinny around the butt and back legs. We talked about brain waves and dirt and discussed all sorts of things. Then Jacob, the six year old, said to me "Do you know what a sarcasm is?" I said "I think so, but why don't you tell me what you think it is." He replied: Well, it's sort of like opposites. It's when people say one thing but they really mean it another way. And they say it like this ...to which he sing songs "I REALLY hate cookies"....and then goes on to explain in regular voice "that means that actually I LIKE cookies."

Shortly afterward as we played and talked their grandmother had a brief moment of rather undignified flatulence. To which Nathan, the thirteen year old said: "How Ladylike! ...See Grandma, that's a sarcasm!"

Yeah, kids...gotta love 'em.

No comments:

Enrich Your Word Power!

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day


This Day in History