Saturday, August 04, 2007

Lessons in the Glass Studio

Yesterday I got the last pieces of my stained glass project cut and foiled. Next comes the soldering which I will do (or at least start) next Friday.

I've really enjoyed doing this work, despite a few cuts on my hands and some ruined pieces of glass that taught me that no matter how careful you may be, sometimes the glass has a mind of its own. I've learned a lot about being in partnership with the medium rather than in control of it. I've also learned a lot about striving for excellence without expecting perfection. I believe those lessons may serve me well in many arenas of life besides the making of stained glass.

I'm very much looking forward to learning more about glass work and hope that in a year or two I may have developed the skill to producer more complex work. For now, I'll be satisfied with basic small pieces that I'll mostly give away to friends and family. My main goal at this stage of the game is not to expect to produce any great masterpieces. But I AM producing something precious by giving myself a creative outlet and learning to appreciate my own efforts even when there are flaws.

If there's anyone out there reading this blog who does work with stained glass please let me know, ok? Do you have some favorite sources for supplies? Any special tips to offer to the newbie on the block?

No comments:

Enrich Your Word Power!

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day


This Day in History