Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Movie Quotes

I was reading an interesting article about the power of movie quotes. The article listed the following as the top rated movie quotes, listing them by citation frequency. I found it kind of interesting.


1. "I'll be back" (1984 - Terminator)

2. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" (1939, Gone With the Wind)

3. "Show me the money" (1996, Jerry Maguire)

4. "Go ahead, make my day" (1983, Sudden Impact)

5. "Mama always said life is like a box of chocolates." (1994, Forres Gump)

6. "You can't handle the truth!" (1992, A Few Good Men)

7. "Hasta la vista, baby" (1991, Terminator 2)

8. "May the force be with you" (1997, Star Wars)

9. "There's no place like home" (1939, The Wizard of Oz)

10. "Yeah, Baby." (1998, Austin Powers Films)

11. "Here's looking at you, kid." (1942, Casablanca)

There were some others...but you get the idea.

What makes a quote powerful or enduring? How do certain phrases resonate in our lives?

Words have power. I believe that the words we use and the words we choose to hold in our hearts and in our minds really can shape our experience and our perceptions.

I have a little jute covered notepad I picked up in Costa Rica years ago that I use for writing down favorite quotes. Some come from books I have read, some from speakers or workshops I attended, some just snatches of conversations I overheard on a bus. I love language and am continually amazed by the ways we use it both to hide and reveal our souls.

Do you have any quotes that are particularly meaningful to you? I'd love to hear 'em.

1 comment:

Millie said...

All this weekend, at my sister's wedding, my brother Ernie and I went around saying, "So THAT'S the way it is in their family" (from Ferris Bueller) and cracking up, for no particular reason. Actually anything from Ferris Bueller is dang funny.

"A family member dies, and you insult me! What the hell is the matter with you, anyway?" is one of my favorites.

Enrich Your Word Power!

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day


This Day in History