Thursday, June 05, 2008

Life is What Happens to You While You are Making Other Plans

The Universe has such a quirky sense of humor. I remember reading in a sci fi novel once the phrase "God is an iron because He is a master of irony."

I have applied for about a dozen jobs that I was VERY qualified for, four of which sound like ideal matches for my strengths and past experience. Most of them I didn't even get a call back on and the couple interviews that I had (both of which went VERY well) did not result in me being chosen.

Then, on a lark, in a moment of frustration and petulance I submitted my resume for something that was totally out of my league that there was NO FREAKING WAY I would have a chance at - but sounded like it was for a cool organization I could support. I tossed off the resume and a very quick cover letter online in the middle of the night saying something to the effect that I would be interested in meeting with them to see if I might be a fit for any role at this organization.

Oddly enough, I was contacted THE VERY NEXT DAY and had an interview set up for the day after that - which is today. So I will be going in this afternoon to meet the director and talk about the program. I have no idea how to prepare or what to expect because I know I do not have the basic qualifications for the advertised job. I have looked at everything I could find to learn about the overall organization and see no other jobs on the horizon. So I'm totally stumped as to why this very busy man wants to take an hour out of his day to meet with me.

If I actually landed a job there it would be going into a completely different field doing work entirely unlike anything I've done for the past dozen years.

But hey, stranger things have happened.

I'm going at this with my mind open to anything, if nothing else just to learn more about the organization and the person at the helm. Never know where that connection could lead. I do NOT have high expectations for employment there at present, but it seems the universe has ideas for me that I would never guess.

It's a curious world.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

ohhhhh how fun! Keep us posted!

Belladonna said...

Holy cow - the interview went VERY VERY WELL. They still have five more people to talk to, but according to the director he was very pleased with my background and attitude and he sounded like he wants me on board. It's all together possible my life could be taking a serious change in directions. Who knew?

Enrich Your Word Power!

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day


This Day in History