Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Who said that??

I love a good quote.

I especially like the ones by that really smart guy, Anonymous. He said all sorts of neat stuff.

At my job I've been helping my boss work on a report that defines student success. What is it? How do you measure it? How do you develop it?

That reminded me of the quote I've had on my desk for many a year that has been oft repeated, (in various versions with a few words shifting here and there) which is usually attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson. It says:

"To laugh often and love much;
to win the respect of intelligent persons
and the affection of children;
to earn the approbation of honest citizens
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty;
to find the best in others;
to give of one's self;
to leave the world a bit better,
whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch
or a redeemed social condition;
to have played and laughed with enthusiasm
and sung with exultation;
to know even one life has breathed easier
because you have lived -
this is to have succeeded."

They are truly great words. However, there are two problems here. First, they don't much help us with the current assignment regarding student success. Secondly, it appears that Emerson never said them. Alas...it seems this is yet another case of misattribution.

There's a lot of that going around.

1 comment:

Ruth L.~ said...

None the less, they were the words we had read at my father's funeral . . . and they fit.

Enrich Your Word Power!

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day


This Day in History