Thursday, August 03, 2006

Split Pants & Pamper Ethics.

Ever since reading Spoke's footprint post about recycling I've been thinking more on the ethics of Pampers. Disposable diapers are certainly convenient. But what is their impact to the environment? It's one thing to use them while on the road or out and about running errands. But most moms I know whose kids are not yet potty trained don't even OWN any cloth diapers...or if they do they use them only as "burp rags." I know that babies are far less likely to get diaper rash when using disposables. I know that disposables save on using water and pouring phosphate detergent into the drain systems. But I can't seem to get past the image of all those thousands upon thousands of Pampers and Huggies in land fills.

While I'm not one to advocate the Split Pants method used for years in China, it seems like there must be a manageable way to deal with baby poop with less impact on both the pocket book of struggling parents and the ever growing garbage heaps of the world. Am I missing something here?

However, I don't mean to be pointing fingers here. Granted, I used cloth diapers when my children were young. But I have PLENTY of room for improvement. When I took the footprint quiz Spoke linked to the results said that we would need nine planets worth of resources if everyone lived like I do. OUCH! that was a bit of a wake up call.

So how can I effect meaningful change?

I know I live in a house bigger than I need, but I don't plan to move any time soon. I CAN be more diligent about use of water/electricity. Probably the single most useful thing I could do would be to eat less meat. I go back and forth on that one. Intellectually I really do understand the impact on the planet of a grain based diet vs. meat fare. However, I've yet to get past my carnivorous ways.

I've been thinking quite a bit about which sacrifices I could make or changes in how I use resources that might help....something as basic as continually refilling one water jug from my filtered water pitcher instead of going through multiple bottles of Evian is something I've been committed to for years. But I am trying now to identify other areas where I am remiss in what I use and what I throw away.

I've often thought that if all of us had to personally burn or bury our trash instead of having it magically scooped away each week by garbage collectors we might be a lot more conscious, and therefore more careful about what we are so quick to throw away.

3 comments:

Spoke said...

turns out we'd need 5 planets if all lived like I do. I lost it on "how often I drive alone" and fuel consumption.
So there you go. I won't cycle 20 miles to work, and you can keep up the pampers.
Deal?

Belladonna said...

Yeah - what pushed me over the edge is how often I fly places and how big my house is (2660 sq ft). Both are clearly non-essential, and very much integral parts of my quality of life.

I've also heard it argued that because I like eating lots of tropical fruit (bannanas, papaya, pineapple etc) I'm causing more fossil fuel consumption than if I would be satisfied with the apples, cherries and other fruit that are grown locally since all that stuff I like needs to be imported.

layne (herman) said...

one thing that is pretty simple, but we found actually lessened the ammount of trash we tossed out was composting.

Enrich Your Word Power!

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day


This Day in History