Saturday, August 12, 2006

Cosmetics

The things we do or don't do in order to enhance our appearance rather fascinates me.
I do not pluck my eyebrows. I do shave my legs and pits. I do not normally wear make up. But I do put it on for hot dates and job interviews. I've been told I look attractive with make up. Every now and then I'll surprise myself (and most the people who know me) by doing it in the middle of the week for no particular reason just because I feel like it. Hey, even an old barn looks better with a fresh coat of paint, eh? Normally, however, I just don't bother. Using the word "style" when referring to my hair is a bit of a stretch. This hair has not seen a blow dryer or curling iron except for family weddings where I bent to peer pressure to glam up a bit for all the photographs that would be taken. I do, however, color my hair and probably will continue to do so for many years. I like me better with hair that is not streaked with grey. Vanity? ABSOLUTELY! But this is one area I have no intention of changing any time soon. I feel frumpy and unattractive when my hair is dull and shot through with grey. I feel more attractive when it is a radiant auburn, and even more so when I get highlights painted in. I KNOW the time and money and amount of attention I spend on this is absurd. I KNOW that I am conforming to lots of advertising and marketing skams that have trained me to believe I am less attractive in my natural state. So be it. I want "pretty hair." So sue me if that seems shallow and superficial.

I'm trying to figure out where I draw the line between vanity and taking pride in one's appearance. Are they the same, with one just being more extreme or are they inherently different? I'm also curious about why and how our culture decides some features are "beautiful" while other features are "ugly". What makes someone look attractive to me is when they get that kind of smile that goes all the way to their eyes and they appear open to possibility. What I find ugly is the haughty expression of condescending scorn. But whether a person's nose is big or eyes are spaced a certain distance.... how does it serve anyone to name that as "pretty" or "plain"?

I can think of certain specific times I very much FELT "pretty". They were not based on clothes or make up or hair. I can think of other times I have felt horribly ugly. On the outside, I doubt there was much difference. But on the inside, the affective experience was in extreme contrast.

What is beauty? How do I experience it? How do I express it? How much does it make sense to try to look good? When I am out and about in the world, what features or styles do I praise and what do I criticize?

These are just some of the thoughts I came up with after reading RC's comments on Beauty and our Critical Culture.

1 comment:

RC said...

who knew my post would lead you to think about cosmetics :-)

Enrich Your Word Power!

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day


This Day in History