Saturday, December 04, 2010

Seasons of Life





As I sit looking out the window looking at the snow coming down I am mindful that there is beauty in every season of life. While I may long for warmer days and miss my lush green yard with all its flowers, it is only because the ground freezes and we get a cold season that many of my dormant bulbs will be able to bloom well come spring.

I'm trying to learn to go with the flow more in my life, learn to accept the ups and downs, shifts and transitions that come my way with a bit more equanimity.

I recently shared the story of The Precious Present by Spencer Johnson with a friend of mine. It's a tale worth remembering as I work at letting go of worry over what has been or what might be.

Change is inevitable. I'm hoping I can be more open to welcoming whatever life lessons come my way, even those that are not packaged in the color or style I would have chosen.

What I am learning is there is a distinct difference between pain and suffering.
Pain is inevitable. Suffering, however, is optional. I've come to believe that regardless of how much pain the world may dish out at me, whether or not I will suffer with it will be based on how I define and relate to painful experiences.

Lately I've been re-reading Victor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning" I remember the basic story pretty well from when I read it many years ago. But because my life is in a very different place now I find I'm discovering all sorts of different layers to it this time around.

Sometimes life hurts. Learning to choose joy even in the midst of that hurting is a challenge worth mastering.

No comments:

Enrich Your Word Power!

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day


This Day in History