Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Pet Peeves

I was out wandering the blog world and came across a site that dealt with a coffee maker's angst. Some guy calling himself "Larry the Barista" ( http://barista-angst.blogspot.com/ )
ranted and raved over customers who adulterate the fine beverages he concocts with so much milk/sugar that all subtlety and character of the java is lost. While to a certain extent I could relate to his annoyance, the extent of his harsh judgment seemed entirely disproportionate to the situation. My initial response was to scorn him as inappreciative of the customers who are keeping his shop in business. I was baffled that he should be so mean spirited toward his clientele. So what if they are not all connoisseurs? If they come in and buy the coffee and have a good experience in the shop, isn't that all that really matters?? Not willing to submit myself to his scathing condemnation, I vowed I would never patronize his Walla Walla establishment, even though I've heard great things about it from others who have been there.

But then, I began doing a little inventory over my own pet peeves. In truth, the things that make me cranky are no more credible.

I abhor seeing men wear socks with sandals. It is SOOOOO uncool.

Then there is that whole hair comb-over thing for guys in hair-loss denial. Do they really think they are fooling anybody??

I grind my teeth when I see someone frantically jocky for the very best parking spot at the YMCA, because afterall, you wouldn't expect them to have to walk too far to go exercise, right?

I am annoyed to distraction by women with long acrylic nails, and even more so when they have quirky designs or faux gems attached.

I am appalled by people who insist I keep my dog on a leash, but allow their stupid cats to wander free to crap in my azaleas.

So, yeah, I have plenty of the judgmental bone going on in my own world. I guess I should lighten up on pointing fingers when others spout off, eh? What's it to me if this coffee guy thinks my preferences are worthy of ridicule? He probably wouldn't approve of how I take my pizza either....big deal. I suppose it takes all kinds.

6 comments:

layne (herman) said...

were you to meet Larry the Barista you would find him quite likeable.

take the gamble and visit the Roastery, you will be glad you did!

juliana said...

I've told "Larry" not to be mad when I sweeten my tea-he raised an eyebrow. To know him is to love him, then his whole Barista Angst makes sense on some weird level. I agree with Papa Herman, he really is likeable and has a sense of humor that won't quit. Just don't ask for "de-caf" and you'll be safe.

Belladonna said...

Ok, curiosity got the better of me. I finally did go. Charming establishment, to be sure. I was treated with the utmost cordialilty, regardless of what judgements may or may not have been going on behind those eyes. I enjoyed the beverage I ordered immensely. Nice bell too.

Panimatka Philo said...

i dunno--the guy sounds like a loser... I wouldn't give him a chance.

here's what I would do if you really want to get him:

order a drink, like a Grande Mocha, and then when it comes, insist that you ordered it iced. When he remakes it, insist that you ordered a Granita. Then when he hands you that, insist that the cup is dirty and that you need a different one. When he finally gets it "right," say, "well it's about time!" and stomp out.

He'll be mad for hours.

Yes!

-Larry J.P.

LJB said...

Many moons ago I had a job working retail in an upscale jewelry store. I really REALLY understand the position of getting a case of angst going on in response to store patrons. I vowed then I would NEVER work with the public again. Since then I’ve worked several other fields that most would consider way more challenging, and some even bordering on dangerous. Still, I’ll take working with convicts, crazies, hookers and drug addicted homeless guys over customers with credit cards ANY day of the week!

What is it about the social positions of buying and selling that all too often makes people think that gives them the right to treat others shabbily? Rude people suck, no question. Then there is the level of outright stupidity that must be endured... not something pretty. Sure, there are some great folks in the mix, but dealing with the dross is certainly more than I can stand. I say hats off to anyone who can.

As to "Larry", Keep brewin’ that brew and doin’ what ya do. Some will appreciate it, others will not. Their loss.

Personally, I loved my Granita the other day and I say big thumbs up to WWR!

Belladonna said...

Lynda - while your point is well taken that some customers may treat some service people poorly, that was not what the Barista described in his rant. I merely reacted to his willingness to speak ill of customers based solely on their drink preference. To me, that seemed like biting the hand that feeds you, and felt rather arrogant / condescending.

However, as I said back to him on HIS blog - I can fully appreciate simple venting. Still, I think it is toxic to fan the flames of spite, even when done in a forum where the recipients of the harsh words are left out of the picture. That is what prompted my opinions in my original posting.

Or maybe I was just being over sensitive because I sometimes suspect that people in the world are judging me harshly behind their polite social smiles. Just when I was getting over that nagging concern, his words gave evidence that it might be true rather than merely irrational fears on my part.

Whatever the case - I'll stop by the place again. He does dole out some killer brew. It's really no harm to me if he considers me stupid for liking cream and sugar. At least I don't use a straw.

Enrich Your Word Power!

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day


This Day in History