Sunday, May 21, 2006

Dead Bodies

There's a job opening I've recently seen advertised in the Sunday classifieds for working in a funeral home. I looked it over and considering applying....however...I think this is a profession sort of like proctologists and deep pit mining. I can see the need for it and admire those who do it well, but I'm pretty clear it's not for me.

I don't know which would bother me more:
a) coming home smelling of formaldehyde
b) feeling like I was exploiting vulnerable people when I sold overpriced caskets
c) working around dead bodies.

I have no issues with the idea of BEING dead. I'm just not sure I want to look at, much less handle, dead bodies as a routine part of my job. I've gazed upon my share of corpses. Doesn't freak me out. But still....

2 comments:

layne (herman) said...

i know you already said that this is not the job for you, but, one interesting book in this vein is 'Cemetery stories' by Katherine Ramsland.

she goes into the whole thing...

i do not like the idea of formaldehyde or exploitation... but i think that the job could be done very compassionately.

maybe i should look into this job....

Belladonna said...

Herman - don't know whether you are kidding or not - but IF you care to explore options, the add reads thus:

"Looking for a career in the Funeral Service Industry? Local funeral home looking for someone dedicated, honest and a real self starter. Send resume & references to M217 Walla Walla Union -Bulletin, PO BOX 1358, Walla Walla, WA 99362"

Enrich Your Word Power!

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day


This Day in History