Friday, January 15, 2010

Choices and Opportunity Cost


I've been thinking a lot about making choices and the impact that has on my life.
We are all familiar with that saying about how when one door closes God opens a window. I do believe there are multiple tracks I could take that would all be good. But I keep getting stuck on the whole issue of knowing that every choice I make closes off the possibility of the five or ten or one hundred OTHER things I might have chosen but did not.

Invariably, I wiffle waffle. Should I order the chili reeno that I KNOW I will like or should I be more adventurous and get something with mole sauce that I may or may not like just to try a new taste?

When I am planning my future do I want to do the safe and secure thing or take a big risk?

What critia should I rely on for making my decisions?

How much do I listen to the advise and opinions of people I know and how much will I be willing to go brazing ahead in a direction that some who I respect have cautioned me against?

No matter what I do, it seems like I always will wonder about the road not taken. Which reminds me of the poem by Robert Frost:

The Road Not Taken
Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet, knowing how way leads onto way
I doubted if I should ever come back

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference

photo credit: PerfectImpressions by mar

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Take a road and look forward! Don't look back on the road not taken.

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for your kind words on my blog! I am adding you to my Reader. I do wish you the best in this decision-making time! Whatever decision is made will be one of change, both good and difficult, but we are resilient creatures and ultimately it will all be good. :-)

Enrich Your Word Power!

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day


This Day in History