Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Do you believe in Omens?

Yesterday at work I had a LOT to take care of. I was feeling just wee bit overwhelmed by my very full plate. I've made some significant progress at organizing / restructuring the organization in the short time I've been there. But sometimes I feel like I'm scooping out the ocean with a teacup.

Then yesterday one of my volunteers came into my office holding a long piece of flowering vine. She was very concerned. I asked her what the problem was. She said "Have you seen this? It's growing all over out front. We better get rid of it." I looked at her blankly and asked "why, what is it?"

The answer? Deadly Nightshade. Also known as BELLADONNA.

Go figure. It's the first time I've seen the actual plant. We trimmed it back some but I left a small piece to grow where it is not likely to be an enticement for kids or animals. I just couldn't erradicate the stuff. Yeah, the berries are quite poisonous. But there are lots of poisonous plants we keep around like oleander and poinsettias. I'm not about to rip out my namesake just because it has some toxins.

Last week I purchased a new hose and sprinkler so we could begin regularly watering the MUCH neglected yard. All sorts of new life is springing up where previously there was nothing but dirt and a few scraggly weeds around the house that serves as my office. We've got autumn crocuses blooming, some sort of white trumpet flower and now this. BELLADONNA has made a home all along the front of the house.

I felt like it was telling me I was right where I belonged.

3 comments:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I do believe in Omens, although I don't consider myself superstitious. For instance, I don't think that a particular animal or item always represents bad luck, etc.

I'm glad to see that yours was not a bad one.

Mimi said...

Bwhahahahahhaa, what a coincidence!

Ruth L.~ said...

This is interesting. Let's see how it grows before we talk about omens. :>) Cool story, though.

Enrich Your Word Power!

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day


This Day in History