Friday, October 07, 2011

Stronger at the Broken Places


I originally wrote this post back in 2007 over on my other blog, Life By Design. I'm repeating it here now for the benefit of a particular friend who is going through a hard time.

I once had a wise teacher who told me about making balsa wood airplanes as a child.

While flying them out in a field on a windy day, one of his favorite planes crashed and broke. He was sad to see the crumpled, shattered body lying in a heap. It appeared to be utterly ruined.

However, after the initial disappointment, he picked up the pieces and carefully, painstakingly, glued them back together. Then he left it for a while to sit and dry. Finally, when he was confident it was ready, he took it back out to fly again.

Amazingly, that repaired plane became one of his best flyers. Although scarred and perhaps less beautiful that the unbroken planes, that one was so sturdy that even when it took an occasional tumble, it didn't break again. It had become stronger at the broken places because of the glue.

Our lives are often like that. We have heartaches and disappointments. We have circumstances that make us feel as if we have crashed into the ground. But if we can pick ourselves up and glue those crumpled pieces of our heart back together, we too can become stronger at the broken places, with new found resilience to face the storms the world may bring.

During a particularly difficult time in my life, I received the card you see pictured here. As it says: "Sometimes when you least expect it, life gives you a big ol' sock in the nose." Then, on the inside it reads:"Not to worry. With time the pain will pass, and from it you will have gained experience, which gives you information, which gives you objectivity,which gives you wisdom, which gives you truth, which gives you freedom from having to get a sock in the nose again." Every now and then, when I am facing struggles in navigating the current of my world, it helps to pull out the card and to remember the story of that broken airplane.

2 comments:

Marcella said...

What a lovely story, B. I copied that card shamelessly off your blog. I have one I pull out in situations like that for me or to give to a friend, then I get it back. On the front it has a sloth hanging upside down in a tree saying, "Life is soooo hard." Inside it says, "All I do is Breathe. Breathe. Breathe." Poor guy. lol

Thanks for the reminder that we are indeed stronger for the hard times and hey, no one is immune.

Belladonna said...

Hey Martie;

Glad you found it useful - no worries about shamelessly copying. I liked the video from your blog of Steve Jobs giving that college address to my Facebook page. POWERFUL words. That's the beauty of the internet - it allows us to collaborate and share images and ideas that lift each other even though we may be many miles apart. Cool, eh?

Enrich Your Word Power!

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day


This Day in History